BGH Patient Information

How Can We Help?
If you have a compliment, concern, question, observation or complaint - we want to hear from you. Your comments not only help to ensure that we continue to provide quality care, but they also allow us to recognize the efforts of outstanding individuals.

If you are pleased with the way services are provided or have a suggestion as to how we could serve you better, please make such comment directly to the employee involved, their supervisor, an administrative staff member or here, on our website. To download a Patient Questionnaire, click here. (You will need Adobe Acrobat to view and print this form, if you do not have Adobe Acrobat you can download it here.

If you are displeased with the services you have received, we ask that you follow the guidelines outlined below to ensure that your concern is handled in an appropriate and timely manner.

We encourage you discuss your concern with the involved person, including what you believe to be the acceptable solution.

If you are not satisfied with the outcome of your discussion with the involved person, or if you prefer not to talk with that individual, you should contact the respective clinical manager or department manager. He or she will investigate your concern, take corrective action, if possible, and verbally communicate back to you the result of his/her investigation.

If you are still not satisfied, please call the Administration at 724-785-1701. At this time, you may schedule an appointment to meet with a member of the administrative staff to discuss your complaint.

You can be assured that your comments, whether positive or negative, will in no way compromise your access to care at Brownsville General Hospital in the future. In fact, by expressing your concerns, you help ensure that we provide the highest quality of care possible and continue to serve you to the best of our abilities. Remember, during your visit to Brownsville General Hospital, we strive to help you be as comfortable as possible while we meet your health needs.

Advance Directives
An advance directive is a means for you to tell your health care giver about the care you wish to receive - or not receive - should you ever become unable to tell them your wishes. There are two forms of advance directives. One is called a "living will" and the other is a "durable power of attorney for health care decisions."

An advance directive is only effective when you are unable to express your wishes. It may be changes or cancelled by you at any time. It is a good idea to review your advance directive periodically to make sure it is still in agreement with your wishes. You do not have to sign an advance directive to be admitted to Brownsville General Hospital.

A "living will" is a legal paper in which you spell out your desire for care if you have a terminal medical condition or are in a state of permanent unconsciousness. Most states recognize a "living will" as a legal document.

A "durable power of attorney for health care decisions" allow you to name a person that can make decisions about your health care if you are unable to make them for yourself. You should appoint someone you know and trust. It should be someone with whom you can talk over your wishes. (Generally, it is not a good idea for you to appoint your doctor.)

Forms for advance directives are available from the Hospital, your doctor, and local organizations such as American Association of Retired Persons (AARP), Area Agency on Aging, and the local bar association. You may also download a sample copy of the Advance Directive in PDF format here. (You will need Adobe Acrobat to view and print this form, if you do not have Adobe Acrobat you can download it here.

You may write your own "living will," however, for a durable power of attorney for health care decisions," there are some legal rules that a lawyer will know best how to handle. It is always a good idea to name a second person to make decisions in case your first choice is not available for whatever reason.

You should give a copy of your advance directive to your family doctor, lawyer, family, and to those whom you have named to make decisions for you if you are unable to make them. You or a family member should bring a copy of your Advance Directive to the Hospital and give it to the admissions clerk or to your nurse when you come in for admission or treatment.

If you have an advance directive, you can still make your own decisions. You and your doctor together will decide about your care. If you are unable to communicate or make your wishes known, then the advance directive will go into effect.

It is very important to talk to your doctor about following your advance directive while you are well. If your physician has a problem following your wishes, you have the right to change doctors.

© 2012 FastHealth Corporation  Terms  Privacy